Thursday, April 2, 2009

Gratitude, not a Bad Attitude

That's what I try to teach my boys. Every single day. But it's hard for little boys - who think that toys or another television show will make their life complete - to understand that we don't need more. In fact, we probably need less.

Imagine if our TV was gone. What would we do? Would we talk more, read more, play more - TOGETHER? Would we be outdoors more - go hiking, biking, walking? Would we actually be healthier?

Would our attitudes change? Would our bad attitudes (about not getting to watch their favourite show, or play one more video game) be replaced with a little gratitude for the simpler things in life - or would the men/boys in my life revolt and send me packing?

I guess when it comes right down to it, I'm spineless. It's just a little pipe-dream of mine, this idea of no TV. Once, I saw a book about television watching and children called, "The Plug-In Drug." It got me thinking about how and when we use our TV. Maybe I'll go back to my old ways - and make them "pay me" to watch a program. Read, draw, write, do chores, play an instrument. . . then they can watch a show or play a video game.

1 comment:

my life: said...

I am so with you on this!!! My husband would...NEVER go for it...but I agree...it muddles things. :0)