I guess I get a little obsessed with things. I've been working on two more paintings of the Owl and the Pussycat. This time with a purpose: baby gifts for a friend and a colleague.
This one I started first and finished last:
What I liked about this painting:
- the piggy wearing a sailor suit (a happy accident - the way I initially painted it, there was a sloppy bit that looked a little like the tie on the sailor's shirt).
- the islands in the background. Originally I'd painted a lighthouse at the left, but felt it was too much, especially so close to the owl.
- The pussycat is drinking tea from a china cup.
- the owl - I could not decide whether he should be a snowy or a great horned owl. I've been struggling with him the most. I debated about a pair of spectacles, but refrained. His head was too big initially so I had to rework it. I know the owl could be better, but for now - I give up.
- the boat worked out quite well.
- I didn't have to struggle with the owl.
- the water has a different shade of blue that I thought worked out well.
- the clouds were fun to create.
What I liked about this version:
I also loved the depth of the sides allowing me to extend the scenes to the sides: