Monday, January 12, 2009

A Moment Overheard


Today I had a complete stranger come in to do a little test with my son Liam. You see, a few years ago Stats Canada asked us to be involved in a long term child study. They wanted to follow the growth and development of one of my children. As Liam was the youngest at the time, we decided to nominate him. The study didn't require much: there would be phone interviews with me, and the occasional interview with Liam. My husband thinks I'm off my nut for doing this, but I felt like I had to say yes. (I guess I was raised with the golden rule, and it took hold of my senses at that moment. If I was a researcher, I would want participants, right?)
So, anyway, here we were with a strange, but kind lady in our house, asking Liam to point to pictures, count items, draw and print. Aidan and I were playing in the next room - I could hear Liam's constant chatter about toys interrupting the process - but the woman was so patient! I also paused to listen at just the right moment:
"Liam, can you write a sentence?"
"like what?"
"Oh, maybe about something you like. Maybe something like, "I like cookies."
Liam thought for a minute. "Well, I do like my mom."
Ah, my heart melted.





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bethany said...

That is so cute!

BTW that iridology stuff is interesting! Never heard of it before, but I'd be interested to see how they "diagnose" my kids! LOL.

Becca said...

How sweet!!! Kids do say the darndest (and most wonderful!) things.